Winter Running Glasses

I know there has been some discussion on what we like/don’t like about current sunglasses on the market, but now that winter has arrived here in NH, I’m remembering some frustrations I run into each winter. Curious what your “wish list” is for winter running sunglasses. Here are mine:

1)lenses that dont fog up. I NEVER have a problem with this in the summer, but once the temperatures dip, I find this more of an issue. Maybe this slow run becomes even slower once there is snow to trudge through, but I find this super frustrating.

2)I’d love a pair of glasses that do a better job with the glare reflective off the snow. I find on clear, bright days, this reflection can give me a headache as its super intense and I feel like I’m squinting all the time

3)On the complete opposite side of the spectrum, I also struggle in the winter with the overcast days. You know when the sky and the ground and everything around you is the same blah shade of gray/white? Ive tried high contrast lenses that work great in the summer with making colors pop, but I find these do nothing on these winter days to help. Not exactly sure what the answer is here…maybe just something that brightens up the dullness vs high contrast?

4)My final request is a pair of sunglasses that can be worn easily with thermal headbands (or even hats). I struggle between wearing on the outside of my headband and having them slide around on the material and wearing under the headband and not being snug enough to my face that it creates a huge air pocket around my ears which defeats the purposes of wearing the headband in the first place.

Along these lines, I know we had a survey we could fill out, but I’d love a way to more regularly send in feedback as I think of things. How many times do you come in from a run frustrated about something, only to forget a day later. I’d love a way to be able to submit these things right when I think of them, as I know I missed a lot when I did the survey. Thoughts?

2 Likes

I second your thoughts about the lens fog issue. Not only is it annoying when it happen in the first place, but if you wipe it with your hands or shirt, you’re probably also scratching the lens, which over time will start to affect the overall visibility quality.

These are great questions/observations. Winter is tricky. Low light. Snow reflection. Temperature extremes (in the micro climate around the eyes, mouth) and as you mentioned, the added issue of hats, scarves and things. Super interesting case study - so I’m super glad you brought all this points up. Glare off snow is similar to glare off water. I mean, sure, it’s water - but there seems to be more diffusion with fresh powder. There are TON’s of variations to snow crystals so it’s tough / impossible to cover all experiences. All that said, Polarizing technology is amazing for blocking that glare that you said “get’s you” but Polarizing kills contrast. I like to say it “flattens the world” because it kills the sparkles of life. Those “sparkles” help you see texture, definition and terrain. Fisherman love polarized because they are looking (mostly) at flat surfaces - or trying to see through the water surface. Who cares about depth of field and texture. But runners - OMG I HATE full polarizing for running. What we at Method Seven are trying is LESS polarizing. Just enough to cut the glare, but not enough to kill the depth of field you need for fast, safe foot placement. We have a new technology, but it’s NEW. Avery Collins, a pro runner based in Silverton Colorado is using one of our prototypes. But I haven’t asked him specifically about the sun. I will now. I mean, all these technology’s have compromises. That’s why we have 12+ unique lenses for very specific uses. What works biking on pavement is not going to be idea for running in the snow. OK - and about the fogging. We are using an anti fogging coating. They still fog if you breath on them, but they clear super fast. This is expensive tech and NOT used that often - so perhaps you have never tried a pair with this tech? I also switch to what are called 6-base lenses for winter. Those are NOT the wrap type. They are a flatter lens, with more air circulation. For running this seems to be fine - I like the curved lens for biking or with the wind is high. OK - I’m going to do more research on the snow thingy. If you want to keep in touch, ask more questions and keep my on my toes - you are welcome to email me directly. I’m James, CEO of Method Seven, making the most amazingly different lenses on the planet. “James@methodseven.com”. cheers

@myfriendjames thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed response. This really adds to my belief in your company! I completely understand that there is no universal lens that will work for everything, and I really value your work to find the perfect lens for each situation. Your commitment to research and high quality products is a breath of fresh air in an industry that has become all about cheap and disposable (imo). And I definitely tend to wear more “wrap” style glasses, as thats what I’ve had success with in archery and cycling, but that makes sense about trying a flatter style for winter running to help with the fogging issue. Thank you again!!!

And the work continues!!! You were the subject of a call I had yesterday with our product development team. Since we test, run, train mostly in the West with low humidity (I’ve been running outside Vegas), we often don’t experience what someone in New England would as far as fogging. We have sent a few specific inquires to our Colorado runners about fogging and glare, and we’ve ordered a few more specifications on our anti-fog coatings to better understand our options. As you mentioned; there are always tradeoffs, so finding the sweet spot is key. When coatings get too heavy, they collect more oils and dirt, smudge more, and eventually impact clarity. Stay tuned and thanks for your enthusiasm!!!