Weather Impacted FKT Results

Interesting article on weather influenced FKT times, especially over technical routes. These technical routes are made easier by a solid snow pack as it removes a lot of the technical aspects.

So, what does the community think? Should there be two classes of results - summer and weather?

Or, does “fastest” really mean fastest, regardless of when during the year it is achieved?

1 Like

I feel that FKT should be “fastest” without any qualifiers foe weather or time of year. Weather is always going to be a factor - how it affects the human condition and the trail condition.

1 Like

Yah interesting article…I have to say I tend to agree with @Blake - as long as the route is the same, then the FKT counts. I know ppl who attempt AT and PCT FKTs plan their timing around seasons and weather, so it seems like something that just has to be incorporated.

1 Like

Weather and specifically temperature can change someone’s performance from one day to the next I think it is important to view the FKT issue technical routes are significantly faster with snow pack in the winter. I think by simply identifying an FKT as “FKT” and “Winter FKT” you eliminate any discrepancies.

A simple example would be imagine running 2-3 miles down a mountain where you are hopping from rock to rock and moving laterally to avoid roots and then imagine running that same route with hard packed snow that eliminates any of those obstacles.

That’s an interesting idea…maybe attaching a season-identifier to it. They definitely do this in mountaineering – like the “fastest winter ascent of Mt. Whitney” or whatever…and I’m sure if WS100 were held in December, the times would be significantly different than June

1 Like