September 2021 Community Book Club - Run or Die by Kilian Jornet

Alright, here is our September book, courtesy of @kris

Really excited to dig into this one!

2 Likes

:star_struck: excited about this choice, will get, will read, will report back. Let’s hope I make it in time before the end of September. I read at night and I seem to read a page and fall asleep :sleeping: great routine for getting to sleep, bad for finishing books quickly :laughing:

2 Likes

Lol, I did the same a few years ago, and it took me soooooo long to read a book, that I forgot half of the story by the time I finished it. :frowning:

I had to change my reading habits, now I still read in the evenings, but usually 1-2 hours before I go to sleep.

1 Like

I read a few books from the true legends of ultra running, and I also follow some of them on social media. It is still not easy to get a real picture of anyone (including all of us here) thru news, books and a few pictures on Instagram.

Although I really loved Kilian’s stories, there was one word that kept getting back to my mind “boastful”. I do not know it was because the way he wrote this book, or because you really need some self-confidence overdose to win these incredible races, but I felt like he had only two options: win or win.

Of course I am nowhere near this guy, and I don’t know how it feels to win UTMB three times. So I can be wrong.

Personality of Anton Krupicka or Scott Jurek is still closer to me somehow…

1 Like

I think one of the main things we have to take into consideration is that Jornet wrote the book at 24/25. By this age he had already achieved what most successful ultra marathon athletes hope to achieve in a lifetime. I would describe his character as passionately and intensively driven, with a dash of arrogant confidence, rather than boastful. But yes you are right, he wants to win and he is extremely competitive. In a documentary I recently watched, he did however admit that the constant expectation/pressure to win took the joy out of competing for him.

I haven’t finished the book yet, but it’s an okay read. It’s not in the same league as Jurek’s North. I find the book lacks structure in some places and gets boring in others. However, there are some very interesting snippets in there that make it worth picking up. I enjoyed reading about his childhood and really wished I had the confidence of his mother to take my children on wild unorganised adventures. I loved reading about his drive from a very young age to succeed in sport - a drive that his parents nurtured, but came from Jornet alone. I’m at the point where he meets Alba. His description of their meeting and first kiss is very sweet and shows a very sensitive and tender side to him - I like this side of Kilian Jornet! It makes him human and interesting and it makes me want to finish the book!

Anyway, those were my thoughts so far. Who else is reading/has read the book?

1 Like

To add another layer to my original comment:
Yes, this guy rocks. I never had / will never have the discipline that one needs in order to to be this successful.