Running with power/stryd

I’m curious to see if any trail or ultra runners here are running with power (like the Stryd pod). I love running with power and find it much more convenient than running by HR or pace. I’ve seen it starting to take off in road running and triathlon but what about ultra running?

1 Like

I’ve never used a foot pod or had heard of Stryd. A quick check of their intro video, looks interesting!

1 Like

I tend to focus on HR, to be honest. That other discussion about MAF is kind of what I use. However, I imagine it has its weaknesses so power might be worth looking into.

1 Like

I used to be very much HR on the run, but at least one run out of 7 had incorrect data or my strap wouldn’t connect or whatever. I also got tired with the seasonal fluctuations when in the winter it was impossible to get my HR up (sub 0 temps) and in the summer it was impossible to get my HR down (90 degrees at 5 am). I just got so fed up with the poor data.

1 Like

Ha, holy smokes I totally get the summer-HR-data-issue! Last summer here in TN we had something called a “heat dome” in June-July. It was like 3-4 weeks of straight 95+ days. Like nothing I’ve run in before. BUT, I have to plead ignorance when it comes to sub-zero temps…it doesnt usually get that cold here!

I run with stryd but it’s not very useful when I go on technical trails. because I hike so much the power numbers dont reflect the effort. example: climbing up a 20% grade at 4mph is not a zone 1 effort in my world.

for normal training its amazing and find it much more useful in tracking effort and stress.

also, using it for distance and pace is more accurate than gps…at least I’ve found that to be true

2 Likes

If you read reviews from road runners stryd seems to be a very good training/racing tool for the road. But if you read reviews from trail runners it seems like it could not really indicate your effort on trails, uphills and downhills (here a german review https://xc-run.de/training/leistungsorientiertes-trailrunning-in-training-und-wettkampf/serienbeitrag-leistungsorientiertes-trailrunning-in-training-und-wettkampf/laufen-mit-watt-stryd-footpod-v3/).
I look on my pace and on my vertical speed (how much m altitude I gain per min). Both values are great for pacing my training and races.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. Strava also has their “Grade Adjusted Pace” (GAP), but I’m not sure how reliable it is…