Not enough or too much

Hello,

I have started from on the couch with walking to walking with some running. I have worked up to 8 miles which I do in approx 2.5 hours. I am doing 8 miles and then resting the following day followed by 8 miles , repeat.

My question … is this an okay way to train ? Is it ok or should I be doing drastically different mode of training or can I keep it simple and continue this way ?

Thanks very much !

1 Like

Is there something in particular you are training for?

If you are training to just get in shape, this will certainly get you there. If your hitting between 24-30 miles per week, whether walking, running or a combo, you will get into shape.

From “shape” you can then start building towards “speed” if you are interested/concerned about speed.

Sounds like going from couch to this level of mileage is great. Keep it up.

1 Like

Thank you so much David.

1 Like

Love it @BigStumpy ! This gets me pumped up. Good for you and keep it up!

@davidc is right – if your goal is to “get in shape” this will g a looong way.

I also think that, if you can run 8mi at once, then you’re well on your way to being ready for a half marathon (if that’s of any interest).

Let us know what you’re aiming to do and maybe we can give you some new ideas. Good for you!

Hi mk717,

I def cannot do 8 miles running at once. I do mostly walking the 8 miles with some running. My goal is of course to get in shape but to also go further. That is what I am most interested in is increasing my distance w/o burning out, etc. I have heard about the 10% suggestions ( not increasing your mileage more than 10% a week )

My end goal is the MOAB 240 haha

1 Like

haha YES! Now that is a goal!

But totally understand. And whether you’re running or walking 8miles, that’s still great progress.

I think the 10% rule is a good one, and I think it’s worth pointing out that it’s relative to your weekly total. So it doesnt have to be in chunks of 8. When I ramp my mileage up, it almost always involves multiple runs in a single day to get the volume I want. Maybe you could do two runs of 4.5mi each on a Saturday or, one run of 5 and another of 4?

Point is your clearly making great progress and if you want to increase without forcing 10mi out of a single run, multiple runs in a day is a good option.

#Moaborbust!

Here is an article I came across today that lays out a pretty helpful run/walk chart…might be helpful as you continue to progress

Thx David I’m gonna check it out now.

So… what’s your story? Are you an active runner ? 🏃‍♂️

1 Like

Ask him about his year of triathlons :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: !!

Ha…thanks.

Well, I am an absentee runner…been spending way too much time behind the desk over the past few years.

Prior to that…what seems like a lifetime ago, I did 52 triathlons in 52 weeks to help raise money for a local cancer charity…it was a blast…our first child was 3 months old when we started the 52 weeks. We traveled all over the country with a brand new baby in a small RV…our family packed in with my bike made for tight accommodations. It was a great year and I look back on it very fondly. Hard to imagine, in my older age, how I did it…but I’m glad I did.

3 Likes

Holy Cow !