Moab Racers? Seeking 200+ mi strategies

I wanted to see if anyone is registered for or has raced the Moab240. My teammate and I are racing it this year (Oct 8) and I wanted to run through my race plan/strategy to see if there was any advice anyone might have.

Outside of that, I’d love to get opinions from anyone that’s done 200’s or multi-day (3+) races. I’m planning on a 100 hr race and would love some external thoughts if anyone wants to share their opinions/critiques…

Looking for opinions on:
-nutrition/ hydration strategies
-gear and frequency of gear changes
-foot care routines
-trail sleeping
-battery/charging options
-what you put in the 6 drop-bags
-etc…

Looking forward to connecting with people!

-Thomas

5 Likes

Wow - awesome! Mad respect, and good luck! After I get another 100 or two under my legs, I’d love to jump up to 200!

1 Like

@Dirtdiva or @Ultramanphil do you have any thoughts?

1 Like

@satanellus you always have great advice and experience for these events :grinning:

Thomas, see below - you’re taking on a big leap from 50K to 240M. They’ve very little in common other than being on trails. Not knowing your training regimen or experience what is provided is general counsel. Good luck!

-nutrition/ hydration strategies
** eat real food and often (every hour plus full meals at all aid stations). Over estimate how much fluid you’ll need and have available. Not a place you want to be dehydrated. And you’ll need fluids to process all the food you’ll be eating.
-gear and frequency of gear changes
** if you’ve quality socks (i.e. XOSkin) then 2 pair will do. This race goes from very warm to very cold quickly over multiple days. Thus always carry quality outer layer jacket, wool cap and gloves. Layer for entire race (again XOSkin top and bottoms ideal).
-foot care routines
** wear XOSkin toe socks, carry blister kit
-trail sleeping
** planned sleep at key aid stations for 30-45 min., 10 min. Dirt naps when necessary in-between
-battery/charging options
**Have 2 of same headlamp and swap out on the run, carry recharge bar with you and extra in drop bag
-what you put in the 6 drop-bags
**warm clothes, extra charging bar, headlamp, foot kits, extra shoes

3 Likes

This will be my second Moab 240 and one of the most significant mistakes I made last year was not sleeping early. My plan this year is to sleep 2 hrs after the first 30 hrs and then 1.5 hrs after the next 24 hrs. That should be all the sleep I need.

Last year I slept a total of 4 hrs but they were on the back-end of the race and my body couldn’t handle the fatigue. I’ve done over 25 100 milers and most well under 24 hrs, but this should not be viewed as a race but an endurance event. There is no reason to run up hills on the first day and no real reason to run faster than a 10 minute mile on the flats, even if you plan to run in the top 10.

4 Likes

Thank you all for the feedback… it reinforced a lot and helped shape what I hope to be an epic adventure!

Good luck to the other racers out there!

Cheers

-Thomas

Copy/pasted/saved

Thank you for the detailed breakdown, dieselsan!