Midweek Training Plan

What is your midweek training plan and why? I am new to ultra running. I am creating a six month training plan for a long July trail race. I am referencing two different training plans to build my own. They both have T, W, and Th running days, which works for me. One features slightly longer T and Th running days with a shorter W. The other features shorter T and Th with a longer W. The weekends are for the long back to back trail days. Most of my weekday runs will be road runs. Any opinions or advice about the midweek strategy? Thank you!

I would be curious about a few things:

Is there a reason to merge two plans together?

Next, what is the total weekly mileage for the two plans? The one with long days on T and TH would seem, at first blush, to have more mileage than a plan with a single mid-week long run on W.

That would be where my focus is…on the total weekly mileage load. I would prefer to break that load up between a longer T and TH run.

Also, since you have several months before your race you certainly could experiment with switching between these two combinations. See which one feels better for you

3 Likes

Thank you! I was trying to mix and match as a way to better tailor my final plan to fit my family life (I have two kids under 6 at home, so am trying to best optimize the running time I have).

I will reanalyze my plan based on total mileage. Thanks!

I am in a similar boat as you in terms of 2 kids under 6 and I am trying my best to figure out how to get the miles in without disrupting the family too much. I find it interesting that B2B long weekend days get thrown around so casually in ultra running as if this its in everyone’s life.

I, for example, use one of weekday AMs to get a long run in. That has 2 benefits: 1) My spouse does have to deal with getting the kids up and off to school but does not have to take care of them the whole AM and 2) It doesn’t take away from time with the kids on the weekends.

1 Like

I have 4 kids and getting the time in is tough but its possible. Morning runs are great as long as you can get enough sleep or have the option to take a nap. If you don’t go to sleep till after (for me) 11:00. I usually dont have time to nap so my morning runs are usually an hour at most if I get up early enough.

I ran the Oregon Cascades 100 least year on roughly 45 miles a week with back to back long runs on weekends like your planning. However what I have going on now I think is better for me. Im not dead tired after workouts/runs anymore and I seem to be running better.

Im getting coached and have 2 ultras planned for this year so far. Im looking at running Beaverhead 55k as a last long run/finalize eating and hydration plans leading up to the Crazy Mountain 100.

Currently running over half my mileage during the week and then a longer run on Sat and a relatively long low key run on Sun. Its working for me for sure. Im also running Monday-easy Tuesday-intervals/threshold, Wed-easy, Thur-relatively long run.

Tuesdays are interval days since having a higher VO2 max just improves running economy. I usually do a strength and balance or core strength workout earlier in the day in Tues. I just try to remember to keep this day as the fast day and dont go gang busters on my weekend long runs and other runs if I can help it. Its base building not a race (something I have to remind myself of).
One other day usually Thursday I do another strength workout but it also depends on how much time I have. Lunch time has turned into crunch time for my strength days and I just eat while working. Dont really miss sitting around for lunch.

I think as long as you don’t break the rule of 10% you should be alright. I haven’t been coach in quite some time and have been guilty of this every so often and paid the price in calf injuries and recovery time and it just because normalized for me for the past few years.

I’m in a similar position 3kids under 7. During the week I run when they are at clubs or get out when they’ve gone to bed. Sometimes I miss a bed time but I try not to.

Weekends I get up early to have as little impact as possible but realistically even if you are up at 5 a long run still chews into breakfast a little.

I think you need to find balance, what are you happy cutting to run more? I don’t own a TV and very rarely have an evening with friends.

1 Like