Let's talk shoes

Ok ladies and gents, I wana hear all about everyone’s most aggressive opinions about what brand makes the best running shoes.

I’ll start – I wear Altras exclusively. On the road it’s the Torin or the Escalante. On the trail it’s the Timps or the Superiors.

I’ve tried Inov-8, Montrail (rest in peace!), Adidas, Mizuno, and Hoka and I have not enjoyed any of those nearly as much as I do Altra.

I am a 100% believer in the “zero-drop” outsole and, even though I have a narrow foot, I am convinced that a wider, foot-shaped toe-box is a more comfortable way to run.

Now please tell me how crazy and how wrong I am!

1 Like

I have to wear altras…I have a size 16 foot and those are, pretty much, the only brand that works for my flippers

2 Likes

I’ve been running in Salomon for a past few years. Currently in the Sense Pro. Really like them.

The new North Face line looks interesting

1 Like

Hoka!

1 Like

@TylerP i did not have a good experience with Hoka though that was 5+ years ago and so maybe their stuff has improved. I had bought 2 pairs of the Speedgoat , I think series one or two, can’t remember which. The problem I encountered was after about 100 miles the outsoles completely delaminated from the shoe body - they completely fell apart on me. Was super frustrating. I have heard others having similar concerns about Hoka durability

1 Like

People seem to either really love them or really hate them

1 Like

I don’t stick to 1 brand. I used to run exclusively in Nike, and branching out has helped me tremendously. I think I’ve had the most fun in Saucony lately, but Hoka on the trails. Right now my brand pair count is:

Altra: 1
Hoka: 4
New Balance: 4
Saucony: 3
Nike: 2
Adidas: 1
Puma: 2 (got em free)
Atreyu: 2

I have a problem… lol

3 Likes

holy smokes! I’m size 13 and thought that was tough…If you’re like me, when you go into (used to go into?) running stores, it’s not “Do you have the Salomon S-Lab?” it’s “Show me what you have in a size XX” !

1 Like

I forgot – I actually did have a pair of the Speedcross 3s, but they just didnt feel as good as I had hoped. I havnt tried S-Labs, or Sense Pros so maybe I need to expand my horizons a bit!

1 Like

Yep, size 13 is pretty much the cut off…hard work to find anything above 13

2 Likes

Hm… @amdavis262 I had not heard of Atreyu shoes…very interesting…!

1 Like

There was this interesting story from the 6 Minute Mile newsletter on this brand -

2 Likes

They’re okay. Extremely affordable but that comes with cons like durability.

2 Likes

I am all the way Brooks’ girl when it comes to road - Glycerin specifically. I tried their trail shoes - Cascadia was a no, Calderas were better, but still no cigar. I have a wide foot, and tend to get blisters at the base of toes. I finally found my trail sole mate in Hoka Speedgoat - I got 3 first, still some issues with the shoe width, but Speedgoat 4 have a bit wider toe box and I love them!

2 Likes

My favourite shoes of all time were the Brooks PureFlow 4. They worked flawlessly with my mechanics and I managed to set both marathon and 50km PRs in them. The 5 was a total disaster for me. I’ve struggled to find anything that I want to stick with since. The one pair of Altra that I had felt like I was constantly bottoming them out, and I’m not a heavy runner.

For trails, I’ve had good success with Inov 8 (especially the original RocLite 290 and the MudClaw 300). However, again I’ve struggled with some of their more recent shoes and am currently in some older Nike Wildhorse model with another pair in the box ready to go.

Oh interesting! I had always heard good things about the Cascadia but never tried them myself…might pass on them now. I hear great things about Speedgoats too

that was just my personal experience with Cascadia. Part of the problem might have been that they measure differently than Glycerin, and I might have gotten them half a size too big. My brother uses Cascadia and likes them just fine.

1 Like

This seemed so topical I had to post it. Anyone else here know of the “Mediocre Amateur” YT channel? They also have Instagram. It’s led by a guy named Danny Bryson and he and his friends are the ultimate weekend warriors. They actually had an Animal Planet TV show called “100 Miles from Nowhere” but it never got off the ground.

But here’s a video he recently did on their partner channel, “Extra Mediocre,” about trail running shoes:

1 Like

Same here. I don’t stick to 1 brand. Although I have fewer brands that I prefer:

• Asics
  • Nike
  • Saucony
  • Salomon

And I change them randomly. I tried a few other brands as well, but these 4 seem to be a good fit for me.

2 Likes