Introduce Yourself

Let everyone know you are here.

• Where are you from?
  • Have you raced any of the Broken Arrow Skyraces before or is this your first time?
  • Any pressing questions about the race?
1 Like

Hi everyone and welcome to this rad new forum. I’ll happily monitor questions and chime in as needed. We’re grateful for this awesome resource from our partners at USU and can’t wait to hear from you.

4 Likes

Hi all,

I am based in Bay Area and have raced Broken Arrow 52K since 2017. Love the challenging course and the double loop is the perfect training run for TRT100M.

Ran the Triple Crown for the first time in 2019 and that was so much fun. In keeping up with the tradition, a group of us ran our own fatass version of the 52K in 2020 race weekend (with proper social distancing) just to show COVID our defiance!

Looking forward to see everyone this October! :raised_hands:

5 Likes

NorCal / Bay Area near Los Gatos, first BAS. Questions:
How much water do folks usually carry out on the course?
I just bought some poles, what do the experienced folks think about using poles for the 52k race?
I’ve done the triple crown dozens of times - that means drinking 3 Coronas, right?

2 Likes

Hey everyone. Thanks for this awesome resource. I ran the VK in 2019 and had a blast. Looking forward to it again in October. Super fun training for it, so far my only race planned for 2021. Happy to answer questions, but don’t know much outside the VK :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ursula here, from the Bay Area (MenloPark) doing the 26k (second time around) First time was in 2019.

Will we do any organized Group Runs in NorCal (Mt Diablo ones were particularly awesome)?

I known there is the YouTube channels and this community but was wondering if people are self organizing for any training runs or if we can join any race group training runs live.

Thanks!

2 Likes

3 Guiness maybe …

We’re adding a new aid station at roughly mile 4.2 so you shouldn’t have to carry much. That will mean 5 aid stations in approximately one 16-ish mile lap. Having said that these things are always personal and could be dictated by weather and/or personal need. In early October we can have perfect fall days or rain/snow - quite the disparity. I think two small 8-12oz. flasks should suffice, but again, personal. We’re 100% believers in poles, especially for the 52k. You’ll be throttled on that last lap and not only do they give you something to pull up on during ascents… they give you an extra balance point for descending. Generally we hear people who don’t use poles say “I wish I had.” Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi Ursula! Due to Covid (and now smoke) we’re playing it safe. It is our hope to do the annual NYD run with Ethan’s Beer Bucket Run Group. It’s always a blast! Have you hit up the Saturday runs at SFRC? I also think the run shop in Berkley does Tuesday night runs? If anyone is self-organizing we’re all ears!

Hey everybody, Max here. I’ve raced each of the three Broken Arrow distances over the past 4 years and each one has it’s unique challenges. Love this race weekend! This year with it being in October I suspect it will have a different feel to it but nothing beats a crisp fall morning in the mountains, am I right.
I know I am definitely looking forward to it.

6 Likes

Hello group.
Flat as a pancake Sacramento here.
“Running” the 26k but have really fallen out of racing shape. Looking to get myself ready in the little time we have left but the closest thing I have to a mountain around here is a 10 story parking structure. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

1 Like

Hello all :wave: This will be my 1st time in CA since I went to Disneyland as a kid, and I’ll be running the incredible 52k course. I’m from the High Country mountains of Boone, NC where the trails wind through dense Rhododendrons and over gnarly roots in the Appalachain temperate rainforest. I have 2 questions. First, how technical and mentally demanding are the singletrack trails on the course? Second, which attractions will be open? I have read that the Aerial Tram, High Camp, and other attractions listed on the race website will be closed. Any info would be greatly appreciated :heart: Happy trails! :blush:

2 Likes

Hi SacMack! Thanks for chiming in. Those parking structures are key for preparing yourself for lots of vertical gain - I’d suggest reaching out to our coaches at Trails and Tarmac if you need something specific, but integrating some hill workouts into your week will be key!

This is fantastic Clem! Those trails in and around Boone are so amazing - we’re jealous! While there is a touch of double track on our course, the majority is single track or talus/rock scrambling - so waaaay different than technical east coast trails. Throw in altitude and you’ll be grappling with a much different animal and I’d say come prepared for an extreme challenge … twice! The Tram will be open for sure as SVAM sells $29 tickets for spectators and we’d suggest checking out the Via Ferrata with Alpenglow Expeditions, Emerald Bay on the West Shore of Lake Tahoe and the fun little towns of Tahoe City and Truckee. If you are staying in the valley shake your legs out on the Shirley Canyon trail which dumps you out at High Camp … and you can take the tram down for free! There will be lots of other fun activations during race weekend - seminars, clinics, movies, live music and more. Stoked you are joining us!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the fast reply & info :pray: I’m super excited!!!

2 Likes

John Fitzpatrick. Raced 4 Spartan Beasts at Squaw Valley over the years, looking forward to the mountain without obstacles this time. From San Diego area. Running, and running uphill have been a challenge for me as I’ve aged (59 now) and with challenges resulting from COVID restrictions (running habit has been elusive), so maybe a little worried about the time limits, but working hard over the next 7 or 8 weeks to be ready. Running a local mountain, 1 or 2 loops on Sundays (Monserrate) every Sunday morning (4.7 miles, 1,550 foot gain per loop) and 4 mile trail(ish) running group midweek at Pizza port or Double Peak to get ready, regain the diligence. Will also have the chance to test my performance on Manitou incline in late August.

4 Likes

Thanks John! Your story is inspiring and thank you so much for sharing. Keep grinding on those hills and maybe come as early as possible to acclimate - that’s a big deal for sure. I can say our race is hard but not impossible and we’ve tried to be quite generous with the cutoffs! If you find yourself in the back we’ll have major cheerleaders ushering you along as well as possible… and cold beer at the finish line for you!

1 Like

Hi there Todd from the bayarea. I have done the 26 and 52k There is plenty of water at the aid stations 2 regular size bottles or average bladder is fine. I take my poles for the steeper downhills only.

2 Likes

Hello - I’m Alli, from Bend, OR. This will be my first Broken Arrow. I’m doing the VK (also a first) and am waitlisted for the 26k. :crossed_fingers: I’m looking forward being down there in October.

2 Likes

My name is Morgan, I call Carbondale, CO home and I have raced BA a few year in a row and I love it. It’s one of my favorite weekend filled with good people, hard efforts, and an amazing, supportive community. Let’s get some questions going! Noting is off the table, what are your concerns, thoughts, random musings?!

2 Likes

Hey everyone! Very excited to be seeing everyone soon. My name is Kevin and I’m from Michigan. Never raced BA before, only raced once in the mountains before (The Rut VK and a 50K DNF in 2018), stoked to be getting back to the mountains!

2 Likes