How does training/planning for UTMB working?

Hello, just curious if someone is planning to attend UTMB this year. What race, how is training going and travel planning?

@radu91 I plan to be out there this year cheering for friends: one is doing his first UTMB and the other doing his first TDS. I personally did my first UTMB in 2018, and I found out about three stress fractures in 2,3 and 4th metatarsals of my right foot 3 weeks before the race. Everything was already paid for at that point so I figured might as well still go :woman_shrugging: I planned to show up at the starting line and just see how far I could hobble. I’m not going to claim this was smart or that anyone else should do this… but I finished. I used pretty much the entire time allowed! 44 hours and change was my time. So just know that at worst: it is a hikeable race! I trained by doing hill repeats on pretty much the steepest ski slope I could find where I live in Big Bear Lake, CA. I would say that training on steep terrain is probably the most important thing for preparing for UTMB. I hope to go back to the starting line some day with no broken bones! Good luck this year! I’m looking at plane tickets now, and they’re dirt cheap! I just worry with Italy on lockdown right now, what’s it going to look like in August? Where are you at with all this right now?

1 Like

At the moment I’m registered and I booked an accommodation witht he option to cancel it in August (something like one week before the start). With the flights and ohter mandatory stuff I’m waiting. I can’t see an race taking place through 3 countries this year. Also with runners from all over the globe.

1 Like