Great Outdoors Month Photo Contest

On a run in the outskirts of Portland I had my head down struggling up a hill. I look up and I see this. I think “I’m going to take a picture but no way my little camera is ever going to capture what I am seeing.”

It did. No filters, no nice camera, no skills. Just absolutely beautiful. I will likely never top this.

77 Likes

4 Likes

A photo of a lifetime from our elopement to Norway many years ago. This is pulpit’s rock (Preikestolen), over 600m above the Lysefjord.

We actually camped through a rainstorm on this rock the night before, and were in the midst of taking our own wedding photos with the use of a remote attached to our camera. Out of the rocks and brush came an early morning hiker, who volunteered to scramble up to help get a photo of the amazing scenery seen here. A 5 minute encounter, we never got his name or contact information - he just took the photos, handed back our camera, and carried on with his hike. We wished him well.

I treasure this photo, not just because of what it represents in my relationship to my partner, but because it shows how we are all one community bound together by our love of trails, mountains, water, and the outdoors.

4 Likes

Tear Drop Arch overlooking Monument Valley, Ut :blush: This was taken not too long after I moved here from FL to live & work on the Navajo Nation.

4 Likes

The Quilotoa Lagoon is one of the most visited places visited near Quito, Ecuador because of the adventurous, and not so difficult hike. Most important for lovers though is how is was formed with tears of a Goddess who lost the love of her life.

4 Likes

A month after moving from Florida where I lived for almost 35 years, I was looking for a spot which would represent my new surroundings in Charlotte ,North Carolina. This spot, the lookout point from the top of Chimney Rock represented the welcome to the natural wonders of this state. On a clear fall day, one can see the Charlotte which is 2.25 hours away. We all need that kind of symbolic location to understand why reinventing oneself is always healthy.

3 Likes

We love hiking around Three Sisters springs, FL. The water is crystal clear and you can see lots of animals around including manatees year around.

4 Likes

Jones Gap 9 Miler. Runner vs. the majesty of nature presented in challenging ways. This shot to me represents the David vs. Goliath challenge posed by the trail and how everyone needs to always respect what the outdoors offers to all of us.

3 Likes

Nature does what it wants; it goes unwitnessed while you sit on your couch

3 Likes

Took this shot as I ran towards Drivers Flat on the iconic Western States trail. The water was like glass. It was a perfect day of trail running and quiet and peaceful. On June 26th and 27th, 328 runners will toe the line for the ultimate prize- a 100 mile finish and the prized WSER buckle.

2 Likes

Meanwhile here in Bakersfield, CA…this photo shows you can find beauty on any trail you run. Oil fields and freight trains are my scenery and I absolutely love my trails. Happy running! Susi

3 Likes

[quote=“davidc, post:1, topic:479, full:true”]

This is overlooking Hatfield and McCoy Country in Williamson, West Virginia. These hills have a ton of history.

3 Likes

Day 2 of the Milford Track, New Zealand

6 Likes

Taken from the top of the cross trail in Menifee, CA. The view from the top was well worth the climb…

2 Likes

Fun run that a friend and I did on Angel Rocks Trail north of Fairbanks, Alaska

4 Likes

Man these pictures are awesome! I love seeing everyone’s local stomping grounds. And some of you are spooooiiiiiilllllleedd! And I am jealous!

1 Like

Last summer I was fortunate enough to get the chance to run in half marathon right outside Rocky Mountain National Park. This was my first time going out west and visiting Colorado. I was able to get out and hike a little in the park. This picture was taken during my first visit to the park at Bear Lake. Could not have asked for better weather and this made me fall in love with Colorado; I can’t wait to return, absolutely breathtaking views.

61 Likes

Just one of the amazing overlooks at Worlds End State Park, home to one of my favorite 100k trail races as well!

4 Likes

2 Likes