Do you run every day?

I’m curious about the consistency of runners in this forum? How many days a week do you consistently run? Every day? Every other day (with rest days between)? Just on weekends? If daily, how important is that consistency?

Take all this to the extremes, and you get Mark Covert (https://www.cnn.com/2012/07/26/health/covert-longest-running-streak/index.html) whom I had the pleasure of meeting several years ago. At the time of this article, he held the longest running streak in the U.S., not missing a day in 44 years, (or 16,075 days).

I might be on the other end of the spectrum… quite a bit choppier, with short stretches of daily running, followed by longer patches of just catching long runs on weekends.

How’s your consistency?

4 Likes

Not sure if you saw the piece on Ted Corbitt in UltraRunning magazine’s 40th-anniversary special edition but he said at the height of his training (with a series of injuries) he hit a one-week high training volume of 312 miles!!! Yep, that’s an average of 44.5 miles per day for a week…while injured.

I have a local friend that has run at least 6 miles every day since he was 21…he is now 46…your body is pretty amazing and will adapt to almost anything you make it do.

2 Likes

@davidc and @jay I run almost every day. It’s difficult to break it down on a weekly basis because saying “at least 6 days” is basically every day. I’d say I run 25-28 days a month, meaning I probably take off 2-5 days a month. The DISTANCE is the biggest variable! Last summer and through the fall, I was doing 14-15 miles a day, every single day! But that was only bc I’d signed up for a silly number of virtual races during COVID.

If you havnt already seen it, here’s a great article in Outside Magazine about a guy who’s trying to run a marathon a day:

2 Likes

I’ve been a runner for about 9 years and was running consistently 4-5 days a week. A little more than 3 years ago I started running every day as a mean of fighting off achilles injury. I know – a little counterintuitive, but I was fighting this problem for about 2 years with no luck. Tried pretty much everything sans surgery. My thinking was that I might help if I introduce good blood flow more often. When I started doing this I was averaging about 30 miles a week over 4-5 runs. So I just added one mile of running on “day off”. After 60 consecutive days, Achilles pain finally started to go away and then completely went a way in the next few weeks.

So I continued. Year 1 my “day off” mileage was 1-mile minimum. Year 2 - 3k, I wanted to do 2 miles, but the first day of the new running year my head was somewhere else and I ran 3k instead of 3.2k (which is 2 miles). Year 3 I bumped it up to 4k on the “day off”. Now I’m on my year 4 and my “day off” easy run is 5k. Currently a little over 1200 days running, weekly average mileage anywhere between 35 and 55 miles. Plan to bump it up more as I registered for my first ultra this august.

2 Likes

Interesting. Pretty cool that your strategy worked.

Where is your first ultra?

I’ve been running everyday since 12/31/13

It has improved my running immensely and I love it.

2 Likes

That’s a heck of a streak.

Do you have a daily minimum to qualify for the streak?

Well the first 4 yrs I went 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5

Now it’s just 1 cause I do lots of other stuff. At the end of 100 runs 100 days of 3mi min. At 155 runs w avg of almost 4mi

3 Likes

I try to run 7 days a week with 6 being part of the plan and the 7th just a 3 or 4 mile easy jog to keep the body moving. Monday is my easy day and I’ll mix in the run after a bike session for a brick

1 Like

I’m doing Telluride Mountain Run Telluride Mountain Run - August 28, 2021
It is 40 miles, but elevation gain is about 14k feet

3 Likes

There is a website that tracks streaks like that and they say the minimum is one mile: https://www.runeveryday.com/

1 Like

The question for me is not running frequency specifically, rather, workout frequency. I am working out at least 6 days per week but the effort can be divided into running, cycling, swimming, and strength training. Usually, the count of workouts is 8-9 per week.
Consistency of exercise is the key.

2 Likes

Yes, the same here.
I do not run every day. I believe in recovery. :slight_smile:
But when I do not run, I have some other workouts, like swimming, strength training, cycling, core, etc.
I run 3 to 6 times a week, and always spend 1 day on recovery.
This leaves space for 0 to 3 other workouts. In total I have 6 workouts + 1 rest day.

1 Like

Streak runner here. Over 1,600 days straight at this point. All runs outside, which gets interesting with the weather.

4 Likes

wow…what part of the country?

Northern NY. I’ve got the Adirondacks nearby.

What’s the deepest snow you’ve had to run in?

I was running in Nashville today in the remnants of our snow from last week…it was fun for the first few miles and then I was over it

Not sure how deep snow. After just so much it’s slugging through it. Sooner or later the snow shoes need to come on for backwoods deep stuff. We actually have snowshoe running events around here. I haven’t done any of those, but have some experience with snow shoes.

1 Like

I typically run every day. However, I finally decided that my niggling injury warranted a few days off. Fortunately, it was super cold and I gave myself “permission” to not run for 5 days (I did get on the wind trainer and in the pool). Lo and behold, that 5 days helped mitigate the pain and I started back up running a day, day off, running a day, day off. Now I’m back running almost every day and x training the other days.

3 Likes

I participate in RunningWorld’s run streaks twice a year :grin: I also did my own run streak when we were living in a hotel while we were between selling our house and finishing the new one. I think that lasted for almost 70 days. I for sure built up endurance and set my fastest 5K road PR during that streak but it wasn’t something I continued once we left the hotel. I could easily see myself doing a mile a day for a long time just to build up some endurance.

1 Like