Alright M7, I was out on the trails for 15 yesterday

Every time my trails turned west, I could not see a thing. Stumbling and bumbling along. :weary: Time to see how these glasses work on the trails!

JimO

1 Like

Looking West - Method Seven had an interesting case study with a Pilot named Dave who flew for Alaska Airlines in a 737. Dave flew West, from SJC to Maui several times a week, chasing the sunset. He had direct, low-angle sunlight right in his eyes, but also had to look down at his dashboard and render his instruments and his iPad. He was constantly lifting and lowering his sunglasses, which was not only inconvenient, but his eyes were really fatigued after hours of this, ostensibly from having to adapt to bright, dark, close, far… Dave was about 47 years old, and this is about the age when our eyes have less elasticity and these changing conditions become even more problematic. We made a lens just for Dave, called the SKY 9. We used rare earth minerals, molecularly bonded within the crystal (glass) to ‘notch’ filter the spike of solar energy at 590nm. This was so precise, that we could let other light through the glass - the light that was given off by the instrument panel. Dave could set it and forget it. To get a lens this dark, most companies just load up a plastic lens with dye. Think glacier goggles. Vaurnet and a few companies make high-quality glass versions, but even those are just dark. They don’t selectively filter. So yeah, they block the sun, but you lose detail, depth of field, and the ability to see anything that isn’t blasted with light. Our lens solved this problem. OK - but this isn’t a good choice for running. It’s glass, and heavy, and running, unlike flying a plane; there isn’t a problem with scattered blue light (distance vision). Runners require what I call “peripheral texture”. So we learned A TON working with Pilots, and the new (pending) Ultra Trail Lens we are making captures some of this magic. We help you render the texture of the ground, yet block just enough glare to keep you comfy if you catch some direct rays. You need to wear a hat or visor though, to create the best micro-visual environment. Basically emulating the cockpit of the airplane, and your new window to the world is just amazing. Wow - that was a lot. LOL - got carried away - but point is, I think we have an amazing innovation that is different than any other sunglass. But you will be the judge.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Very impressive. After my marathon this upcoming weekend, I have a year full of ultras and trails runs. Can’t wait to give your products a try. Eye strain and fatigue is something I definitely suffer from out on my adventures. :v:

Wow! This level of detail is impressive. Honestly, I’ve always been shocked by how little research goes into eye “protection” products across all industries, so I can’t begin to share my excitement for what you are doing. Thanks for sharing this with us, so we can get a real picture of the development work going on behind the scenes. Thanks!

1 Like